When you love, live, and breathe work, it’s of paramount importance to create a productive space in your home. Here are some tips to help you create a stylish, comfortable, and above all, functional home office.
1. Determine the type of work to be done. Not all of us work in the same industry, so it’s important to carve out a space in your home that will suit your work best. Those who do most of their work in a laptop can transform a nook into a functional office space, while those who require more equipment would do well with larger spaces. For example, Anne-Marie Kavulla, owner of Pirtti Handwoven and Westchester resident, has a home office with plenty of natural light and enough space to do her work as a weaver.
2. Stock on essential items. There are at least four must-have objects for every home office: a door, comfortable furniture, storage, and headphones. A door is important to create privacy, while you’ll need comfortable furniture especially if you’re going to work for long periods of time. Storage, like bookcases or vertical cabinets, are great for other items like printers, books, files, and such. And to make it clear you’re not to be disturbed, slap on a pair of headphones to cancel out the noise.
3. Hang an inspiration board. Use tape and tacks to hang important reminders, ideas, inspiration, and even pictures on your board. Not only does it personalize your office space and help you organize stuff (especially if you’re visually inclined), it also helps clear important surfaces for other items.
4. Personalize your office space. Just because it’s a home office doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with it. Hang pictures or posters of your favorite movies. If you like plants, you can add potted succulents as décor. Another way to personalize your home office is to pick a color palette that suits your taste.
5. De-clutter. It’s hard to work with so many items lying around. Once a while, take time to de-clutter and organize your things. You’ll soon notice you’re becoming more productive!
If you’re having trouble deciding on what you want your home office to look like, search the internet for inspiration. Pinterest always helps!